Friday, November 9, 2012

A review of inDivisible by Ryan Hunter

I received a copy of inDivisible by Ryan Hunter in exchange for an honest literary review. --Author Amber Lea Easton
4 out of 5 star review of inDivisible 

"Fear.  They control us with fear of terrorism, fear of pandemics, fear of travel, fear of ourselves."--
a great sentence from inDivisible.

Can you imagine living in a world where the government controls everything, even friendships and thoughts?  A world where books are considered a liability because they may create free thinkers?  A world where questioning authority is considered a terrorist act?  Ryan Hunter imagined such a world when she created the novel, inDivisible.

Think conspiracy theories in a nation where no one is allowed to have their own opinion, every movement is tracked, each conversation monitored, individuality is seen as rebellion, disagreement in any way is seen as terrorism and fear rules the land...throw in some brilliant students, murder and a cat and mouse game of adventure and you have the foundation for a great story.

I really enjoyed this novel.  The plot is well-constructed and the characters are unique.  I always love a clever storyline, one that grabs you and makes you think--that's the case with inDivisible.  Not only is it well done, it's timely with subtle parallels to today's debates over social freedoms versus political power.

The main characters are students, Brynn and T, who challenge The Alliance (the government) after losing everything--their families, homes and identities as Citizens.  Not terrorists, not citizens, they embark on a quest for truth and freedom that is wrought with danger at every turn. Revolution whispers through each page like an ominous drum beat. Will T and Brynn survive to taste the freedom they crave?

Now don't worry. There are no spoilers in this review.  My only criticisms would be about a few editing issues, some minor repetitions with story that created an echo effect here and there, but nothing that deterred me from enjoying this novel. Ms. Hunter weaves a tale that will captivate and intrigue you.  If you love a good conspiracy theory, a book that makes you think and characters who tug at the heart strings, read inDivisible.

              "One United demands mediocrity because a nation of underachievers is easier to control than a society that excels."---another great sentence from inDivisible. 
I rate it 4 out of 5 stars: a must read.   


An Excerpt of inDivisible

“What do we do now, T?”
He raised his head and a smile touched his lips, his dimple deepening. Without warning, my face warmed, heat pressing up my neck to my cheeks, not stopping even after it reached my hairline. I turned away.
“Haven’t you ever wondered what you would do if you knew no one listened, no one watched?”
I cleared my throat, my heart now pounding in my ears so loudly he sounded muffled. I shrugged.
“You’ve wondered, haven’t you?” His voice had become silky and deep.
I licked my lips and swiped my hair behind my ear. “You mean …” I struggled to find the right words. “With you?”
He laughed, his voice barely carrying past the pulsing in my head.
I stood and paced between the narrow walls, unsure if he laughed because I understood his train of thought or because I had it all wrong. I turned to face him when a sharp pain caught my arch. I lifted my foot from the ground and hopped on my good one. “Ow, ow, ow.”
T stood beside me instantly, supporting me even as he scanned the ground. He bent quickly, retrieved a rock and tossed it deep into the shadows. “The bugger’s been waiting to ambush you since we got here,” he teased.
I hit him playfully, realizing I’d overreacted to the rock because of the other questions battling in my mind.
“Want me to carry you back to the, uh, sitting area?”
I stood on both feet again. Though sore at the moment, I knew I wouldn’t feel a thing, given time. “I’m fine.”
“Are you?”
I nodded and headed back to my shirt-mattress.
T walked beside me. “What I meant was anything in the world,” he explained. “If you could do anything in the world without anyone listening in or watching, what would you do?”
I'd never been allowed to think like that, so I honestly didn't know. I hesitated and T stopped beside me waiting. Several minutes passed before he gave up on me and said, "Of course, if you'd rather answer the other question, about what you'd like to do with me ... I'm actually very curious."

Book blurb:

inDIVISIBLE is a dystopian novel that follows Brynn Aberdie, a seventeen-year-old girl, as she realizes she's lost everything worth living for. As she states early in the novel, "Of course I'd become withdrawn. Not only had I lost my father but I just realized I'd also lost my freedom. when had that happened?"

Instead of cowering, however, she decides to take her life back by evading the very government that's filled her with lies, and allying with a group of Freemen who she's never actually met. 


Author Bio:
Ryan Hunter has been writing most of her life as a novelist, journalist and freelancer – enjoying every bit of the writing scene except for the brief stint as ‘product description’ writer … Her earliest novel appeared on construction paper, bound with staples and followed two kittens on a journey of self realization. She was eight.

Ryan enjoys hiking, swimming, traveling and spending time with her family. She’s the mother of five children and currently lives in southern Utah.

Follow Links:
Twitter: @ryanhunter45



1 comment:

David James said...

Great review! I love how thoughtfully written it was. =)