Monday, February 4, 2013

An interview with Author Julie Shelton


After a brief hiatus, Open Mic Monday returns with an interview with erotica author, Julie Shelton.  Cue the spotlight...drumroll please...enjoy! 
(Explicit excerpt is included beneath the book blurb...adults only, please)


Thank you, Julie Shelton, for taking the time to stop by Kisses, Caresses and Whispers in the Night today.  I really appreciate your time. Can you tell us a little bit about your newest release?

Loving Sarah, my first novel to be published, was released on November 28, 2012.  It is a Siren Menage Amour, with a Heat Rating of Sextreme, featuring two hunky ex-SEAL heroes and a smart, sassy heroine.  In spite of the strong BDSM elements, it is really a very sweet romance about two people who, eight years after being ripped apart by life’s adverse circumstances, find that their love not only has survived, but it has grown so powerful, they need a third to make the connection complete.  The fact that the hero’s best friend, who also happens to be in love with the heroine, is perfect for the role of their third, was pure serendipity.  When I started writing Loving Sarah, I didn’t plan for it to be a ménage, but every time I turned around, there was Adam, looking at me reproachfully, wondering when I was finally going to get it.

What inspired this novel in particular?

I fell in love with the hero’s name.  Jesse Colter.  Before I ever put word to paper, I spent months thinking about what a man named Jesse Colter would look like.  What he would be like.  What being loved by him would feel like (without question, my favorite part of the process).  I knew immediately that he would be a Dom, that he would be a SEAL, that he would have risen above the horrendous circumstances of his childhood to become a man of unquestionable honor.  Everything else in Loving Sarah sprang from that beginning.

I know you said that you're writing a sequel, can you give us a brief idea what it will be like?  

It’s titled Owning Sarah and explores more deeply the growing physical, spiritual and sexual bond between Sarah, Jesse and Adam.  In addition to the scorching hot love scenes, there’s car crash, an assault on a skinhead militia compound, a visit to a bondage club, a wedding, and a collaring ceremony—to name but a few of the goodies in store for my readers.

Who is your favorite character in this novel and why?

Clay “Raven” Nighthorse.  He’s full-blood Apache, a former member of Jesse’s SEAL team, and he doesn’t even appear in the novel!  He’s just mentioned in passing.  But, OMG, he’s so special, he’s going to get his very own book!

What comes first--characters or plot ideas?

It’s been something different with every novel I’ve written.  Sometimes it’s the setting, sometimes a character, mostly it’s a glimmer of a plot.

How many books have you written?

I’ve written seven adult novels, although Loving Sarah is the only one to be published.  The others include two medieval romances, a Gothic romance, a contemporary romance, a romantic/suspense.  I also wrote five children’s picture books.  All of these masterpieces were written years and years ago and, except for two of the children’s picture books, were never submitted to any publishers.  I could paper my walls with the rejection letters I got for those.

In spite of this spectacular lack of follow-through on my part, I have been published before.  From 1981-1983 I wrote all the original material (in other words, everything) for a monthly language arts newsletter for early childhood educators.  The newsletter was called Kidstuff, and included stories, poems, songs, activities, flannelboard stories, puppet stories and instructions for making them, as well as a bibliography of picture books, all on a monthly theme—i.e., Farms, Things That Fly, Things You See in a Garden, etc.  In 1982, Kidstuff and I won the prestigious EDPRESS Award for the best educational newsletter.

In 1991, Fearon Teacher Aids published my book, Puppets, Poems and Songs, sort of a super duper Kidstuff with twelve themed chapters.  Unfortunately, it has long been out of print.

I was very proud of both Kidstuff and Puppets, Poems and Songs.

What is your favorite aspect about being a novelist?

I don’t have to get dressed and go out.  I don’t even have to comb my hair if I don’t feel like it—which, incidentally, is so short, it doesn’t really need combing.  I can sit at my computer all day in my pj’s and bunny slippers and still earn a little extra pocket change.  What could be better?

What inspires you as an author?  

Everything.  Everything I’ve ever seen, everything I’ve ever heard, everything I’ve ever done.  People I’ve met, places I’ve been—you know,,,everything.

What draws you to this particular genre?

I think it’s the raw honesty between Dom and sub and the sheer power—emotional, physical, and sexual—of the connections between the participants.  Besides, I’m a sucker for hot sex and a happy ending.

Are there any other genres you can see yourself writing and why/why not?

Now that I’ve discovered the erotica genre, I think I’ll stick with it.  It gives me the chance to explore deep, honest feelings and write scorching hot sex scenes using real-life actual language instead of silly euphemisms.

As a romance author, do you truly believe in happy endings in real life?  

Absolutely.  I don’t, however, believe everybody gets to have one.  That’s what makes life such an adventure.

What's your typical writing routine like?

I don’t really have one.  I’m sort of a night owl, so my days often get turned around to the point where I write all night and go to bed at 8:00 or 9:00 in the morning.  Sometimes I write non-stop around the clock.  It took me over three years to write Loving Sarah, mainly because it was just a hobby.  I was just doodling around, trying to see if I could actually write the book I wanted to read.  At one point, being a total nincompoop on the computer, I somehow managed to erase the entire manuscript.  I went into a depression like nothing I’ve ever experienced before in my life.  It was months before I could even think of trying to start over from scratch.  Then one day I was trying to print something and I discovered that, by some miracle, my entire novel (minus the last 85 pages) was still in the print queue.  It wasn’t lost after all.  There are no words to describe how relieved I was.  I decided then and there that I was going to try to get it published

I’m trying to get the sequel written in less than six months, so I’m really having to push myself.  Writing is no longer a hobby—just something to fill my idle time.  Writing is now my business and, as such, deserves my best effort.

To you, what's the most challenging aspect of being a published novelist and why?

All the hoopla pertaining to the promotion of my novel, mostly because it’s extremely time consuming and takes a lot of effort.  However, thanks to that effort, I found you and, as a result, I’m your guest today.  Thank you for that.

Chocolate or vanilla?

Pistachio.

Dogs or cats?

Cats.  The current love-o’-my-life is my cross-eyed lilac point Siamese named Lou.

What's your favorite meal to prepare or are you more of take-out queen? 

I make a mean lasagna and an even meaner beef w/snow peas stir fry.  And I’m not so much of a take-out queen as I am a go-there-and-eat-it queen, even if it’s only to McDonald’s.

Tell us 5 little known facts about yourself

My favorite non-romance book is Watership Down (which, not co-incidentally, just happens to be one of Jesse’s favorite books in Loving Sarah).

If I could be a piece of music, I would be Rachmaninoff’s Second Piano Concerto.  It is heart-breakingly beautiful and just dripping in romance.

I used to read under the covers by flashlight when I was a kid.  I still read in bed, but now I get to do it with the lights on.

If Barbara Walters were ever to ask me if I could be a tree, what kind of tree would I be? I would tell her a live oak.  It endures drought, floods, heat, cold—pretty much everything—yet lives for hundreds of years, getting more beautiful and graceful with age.

I don’t understand the appeal of Spam

BOOK BLURB

Eight years ago Jesse Colter fled his small town, leaving behind eighteen-year-old Sarah Marshall.  Now a retired Navy SEAL, he’s back and he wants only one thing—Sarah Marshall—preferably bound, naked and kneeling before him.
Sarah has never forgotten Jesse.  He’s been the object of all her sexual fantasies since she was fifteen, as well as the star of nightly dreams that have become increasingly erotic over the years.  So when he suddenly reappears in her life, she warily agrees to let him introduce her to his world—the world of BDSM.  When he also introduces her to his best friend, Adam Sinclair, Sarah faces the challenge of submitting to two powerful, Dominant men.
But Sarah has an even bigger problem.  A stalker.  Someone from her past who is determined to destroy any chance she has at happiness.  Can Adam and Jesse love and protect her?  Or will her world explode in betrayal and violence that will destroy them all?

ADULT EXCERPT  (18+ )
       Her hips bucked wildly until he stopped her with a painful slap to one cheek.  “Be still,” he growled.  “Push back against me.”  She did and the plug finally, thankfully, slid home.  She collapsed onto the counter, her breaths coming in short, choppy bursts, her hips writhing as she tried to adjust to the excruciating fullness in her ass.  She was sure she was pierced up to her eyeballs.  Struggling to catch her breath, she listened to the water running in the sink beside her as he washed and dried his hands.
       “This is my ass,” he reminded her, smoothing his hands over the ripe fullness of her cheeks, stroking and kneading, heating her skin until her blood was flowing like fire through her veins.  “Here for my use and pleasure.  Just as you are here for my use and pleasure.  And if I want to fill you with plugs, then you will wear them proudly.”  He pressed up against her and leaned over her back, allowing her to feel the thick ridge of his denim-clad erection against her ass crack.  “No more false modesty, Sarah.  That is no longer who you are.”  He turned to leave.  “Take a moment if you need it.  Come down when you’re ready.”
        She straightened gingerly.  Holy Moley!  How did he expect her to walk with this thing up her ass?  She stared at herself in the mirror, amazed at how normal she looked, considering the circumstances.  Taking several deep breaths, she squared her shoulders and went downstairs.
         He looked up as she waddled into the kitchen.  Lord, he loved watchin’ a woman walk with a plug up her ass!  “Mornin’, sugar,” he smiled, bending to kiss her before turning to place two large plates on the round glass table.  Each was piled high with cheesy scrambled eggs, strips of crispy bacon and hot, buttery grits.
         She inhaled, moaning in appreciation as she reached out and snagged a bacon strip.  “Oh, God,” she groaned, rolling her eyes appreciatively as she bit into its crispy goodness, “that’s so delicious.  I’m starving.”
          She sat in her customary place, legs spread as per the rules, trying to ignore the enormous
plug in her butt that seemed to move with every breath she took.  And, yet, in spite of her discomfort, every time it moved, her pussy clenched, sending a fresh gush of cream out onto the chair.  God, she couldn’t believe how aroused she was!  And Jesse knew it, too, the bastard.  She could tell by the way he was watching her with that superior smirk on his face!
          Trying to appear nonchalant, she picked up her fork and speared it through the steaming grits.  Before she could put the bite in her mouth, however, her entire anal passage began to tingle as the plug suddenly came to life inside her.  She gasped as her fork clattered back down onto her plate.  Oh my God!  It was a vibrator!  Her gaze ripped to Jesse’s.  His grin was pure evil.
          “Enjoy your breakfast, sugar.” He picked up his fork, waiting patiently for her to do the same.  “I know I’m certainly going to.”  He turned off the plug before scooping up a humongous bite of fluffy eggs and putting them in his mouth, chewing as if breakfast were the only thing on his mind.  Mercifully, he allowed her to chew and swallow several bites before turning on the plug again, this time at a higher speed that took her by surprise and had her yelping out a cry of
pleasure.  “Oh, yeah, and one more thing?  You’re not permitted to come.”
             Apparently, the vibrator had at least seven speeds, from a mild buzzing to a turbulent throb that jolted every nerve below her waist, sending her spiraling nearly out of control.  Jesse experimented with every one of them, chuckling at her squeals and squirms, and always, always, stopping just short of allowing her to climax.  She thought breakfast would never end.
            Finally, mercifully, the vibrations stopped just as she swallowed her last bite.  She
slumped in exhaustion, struggling to catch her breath.
           “Well, now, that was fun, wasn’t it?” he asked gleefully.
            She just glared at him.  “You’re a sadist, you know that?”
          An eyebrow soared as he tipped his chair back onto its two back legs.  “I do believe it’s your turn to clean the kitchen, little sub.  I expect a show.”
             Biting her lip, she rose on wobbly legs.  Stacking the dirty dishes, she carried them over to the sink to rinse them off.  As she bent to place each item in the dishwasher, she wiggled her hips wantonly, giving Jesse the show he‘d demanded.  Finally she turned to find him still sitting in his chair, staring at her, his eyes narrowed.
            “Jesse?”  She swallowed apprehensively.  He was in full Dom mode and the very thought thrilled her to her core.
             “I have just one word for you,” he said, his voice filled with dark menace.
              The breath froze in her lungs.  “What?”

               His lips curved in a wolfish grin.  His powerful thigh muscles bunched as he settled his chair back down on all four legs.  “Run,” he growled.

AUTHOR BIOGRAPHY
Julie has always loved stories, both reading and writing them, ever since she was old enough to hold a book in her hands.  One of her favorite childhood activities was smuggling books under the covers to read by flashlight after she was supposed to be asleep.  Another was writing little plays that she and her sister performed for their very patient parents.  Her very first novel was about an amateur teenage girl detective and her two sidekicks—hmmm.  Perhaps it was more than just a coincidence that she happened to be devouring all the Nancy Drew books at the time?
After years of dead-end jobs, she finally wised up, finished college, and got a Master’s Degree in Library Science.  A career as a children’s librarian eventually led to her dream career as a freelance storyteller and puppeteer, a business she operated successfully for twenty-five years.  During that time she created and wrote all the original material for a monthly language arts newsletter full of poems, songs, puppet and flannel-board stories, fingerplays, and other resource material for early childhood educators.  For that endeavor she won the prestigious EDPRESS Award for the best educational newsletter of 1982.  She has also written other resource materials for preschool and early elementary teachers.
After moving more than two dozen times in her life, Julie now lives in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia.  Now widowed and retired, she once again has time to devote to her two favorite things—reading and writing—especially her new love, erotic romances.  Not a single amateur teenage girl detective in sight.

Loving Sarah can be purchased in ebook and paperback formats via www.sirenpublishing.com, amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com.  Click on any buy link and read the rave reviews! 








No comments: