Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Circles Divided--an interview with Author Victoria Adams


Today I'm thrilled to host author Victoria Adams to my blog.  I know it's not Monday...but I like keeping you all off kilter so you get a taste of my life.  Ha. Let's all give Victoria some love!  

Thank you for taking the time to stop by Kisses, Caresses & Whispers in the Night.  I really appreciate your time.  Can you tell us a little bit about your newest release?

My latest release – Circles Divided – is the 2nd book in the Circles Trilogy. It is the continuation of the love story between privileged co-ed, Julie Anderson, and jaded gang member, Robert Holiday.
It's an NA book.

What inspired this novel in particular?

One day, two of my senior high school students complained that there was nothing for them to read. NA hadn't been considered a genre yet. So, I wrote a book for them.

Who is your favorite character in this novel and why?

Robert. He is such a gallant and noble hero, even though he has dealt with the insults of society for most of his life.

What comes first--characters or plot ideas?

I think my characters come first and then I devise ways of getting them together and tearing them apart.

How many books have you written?

All in total – 8. But most are still on my hard drive.

What is your favorite aspect about being a novelist?

Getting emails from fans. It made me realize that someone – besides a cp – actually read my book.

What inspires you as an author?  

It is just part of me. Even if I never published another word, I'd still write.

What draws you to this particular genre?

The uniqueness of the age group. When they fall in love – they do it full force. And when they break up – it is the end of the world. They charge forward full of energy and tackle whatever lands in front of them. It's interesting to work within that dynamic.

Are there any other genres you can see yourself writing and why/why not?

I also write contemporary romance. Erotic is not my thing. I can't write mystery. I love to read them, but can't see how to weave a plot that complex.

To you, what's the most challenging aspect of being a published novelist and why?

Finding time to write. Promo can take a lot of time out of the day. Don't get me wrong, it's fun. But after writing a blog post then promoting it on  20 or more Facebook groups and Twitter, plus to Yahoo groups and Google+, I don't feel much like writing anything else - as that's what I've been doing all day.

How do you feel about the writer/editor relationship? (Go ahead and kiss up, that’s what I usually do when asked this question.) 

I am indie published. I read all the blogs on get an editor, but the cost is so prohibitive. I'd have been paying back the editor for months and not making a cent on my work.
My one experience with an editor was a total disaster. This was years ago before NA became a genre. If I had done everything I was told to do, I'd have to have taken my name off the book and list the editor as the author.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.  There are good and bad editors, I'm sure.  I've been lucky in that department both as a journalist and now as an author (still kissing up, see how I am?)

What’s your goal as an author? By that, I mean...why write? Why is it important to you?  

I'm right brained. My creative side controls my life. It is what drives me to write. 

Do you ever consider your novels being turned into movies?  If so, what two actors would you want to play your current hero and heroine?

Can't actually answer this. I haven't paid attention to the young actors and actresses of the day. The last movie I saw was Skyfall and before that the last Harry Potter.


Tell us 5 little known facts about yourself. 

I'm a red head.

I dislike tomatoes, but love ketchup and tomato soup.

I don't drink alcohol. Never did. Don't like the flavor. Tried sips of a lot of things – usual response – yuck!

I have the best cps (critique partners) – M and M.

I have a scar on my tongue. Got it when I was little and stuck my tongue to the metal on my sled in a Canadian winter. How did I get the scar? I sneezed! Ripped my tongue off the metal doing it.

Oh, my!  That last one made me cringe.  I love it. Thanks so much for sharing.  Now let's take a peek inside your novel, Circle Divided. I love the tattoos on the cover models, by the way. Very sexy. 

Excerpt of Circles Divided...

While standing next to the microwave watching the numbers count down, Julie pondered how to ask Robert not to come home. She fumbled to keep from dropping her plate when he said, "I won't be here Friday night."
"Oh good. Oh…uh, I mean it's bad that you're not. Oh give up. The girls are coming over and I was trying to figure out a way to ask you not to be here."
"Francine coming?"
Julie nodded.
"Then I'll be on the opposite side of the planet." Robert took his plate out of the microwave and sat. "Carl asked me to take a mare and her foal back to their ranch. I'll leave Friday after school. Should be back sometime Sunday. How did dance class go?"
"Guess what? Madame wants us to choreograph a dance. I thought we could use the one we made in the studio."
Robert raised one eyebrow. "We?"
"Yes, basic math here, you plus me equals we." She picked up her glass of milk and rolled her eyes. "Jeez Robert, I thought you were good at math."
"We." He pointed at himself and Julie. "Ain't gonna dance in front of nobody."
"You don't have to dance, just lift and throw me around like you did. I'll call it The Ballerina and The Biker. You can wear your ripped jeans and leather jacket and I'll wear a fancy tutu. It'll be great."
"Which word didn't you understand?"
"Please?" She batted her long eyelashes. "Pretty please?"
Robert rubbed his chin. "Ya don't play fair."
"You'll do it?" Julie squeezed her fists and shimmied.
"I'll think about it."
"Thank you." She leaned over and planted a kiss on his cheek.
"I said I'll think about it. I got a tough guy image to maintain."
"Tough guy image." Julie snickered. "I ruined that telling everybody you wouldn't eat your mushrooms. Come on. Let's go do our homework."
Book blurb...

Is the love of a girl from wealthy Westland and a street punk from the slums of the Shore strong enough to surpass all that life will throw at them and forge a life together? Is Julie willing to sacrifice her childhood dream of becoming a professional dancer for the man she loves? Is Robert willing to lay down his ties to the gang in order to hold onto his newfound love? Sacrifices must be made, but will they be enough?

More about Victoria:

Born and raised in Ontario, Canada. Victoria lives in the country where she takes long walks on her quiet country road and in the summer tends her flower gardens and vegetable patch and in the winter dreams about them. Her large farm house now holds only 2 cats, herself, her husband and a ghost.



Where to find Victoria Adams– 
Blog – Victoria's Pages of Romance – http://victoriaadams.blogspot.com
Facebook - Circles Trilogy Page - http://www.facebook.com/CirclesTrilogy?ref=hl
Google+ - Victoria Adams
Plus – Triberr, Amazon Author, LinkedIn, SocialOmph, Goodreads etc

10 comments:

MtnMoxieChic said...

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog, Victoria. Your tongue story still makes me cringe. However, I grew up in South Dakota which had its share of nasty winters so can relate.

So you have a ghost in your house, too? So do I. People tell me I should write about it but I fear he/she/it would read over my shoulder and whisper criticisms. *wink* Seriously...I don't want to rock the boat!

Thanks again. Write on, my friend!

Amber Lea Easton

Victoria Adams said...

I've been to South Dakota - beautiful state. My daughter is an archaeologist - specializing in bones - and when she was in college she did a field school at the mamouth site is Hot Springs. She found a a mamouth bone on her dig.

Thanks for letting me visit. It was fun.

Victoria Adams said...

I've been to South Dakota - beautiful state. My daughter is an archaeologist - specializing in bones - and when she was in college she did a field school at the mamouth site is Hot Springs. She found a a mamouth bone on her dig.

Thanks for letting me visit. It was fun.

Maria D. said...

Good interview! I wish Victoria lots of success with her new release! Wow about the tong scar...sounds like that would have been really painful!

maggiethom said...

Loved the interview. So true about finding time to write. It would appear Victoria we have something in common, I did your trick but didn't get my scar from that, when I was young I fell and put my teeth through my tongue. I don't recommend it. :) Congratulations on your second book.

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

I love the idea that you wrote for your students. What a great way to be in the forefront of an emerging genre!

Ashlyn Chase said...

Great interview! I hope you're backing up those unpublished works on more than your hard drive! Dropbox, a USB key...aomething! You never know when an awesome editor (Yes, there are some) will ask you what else you've written. The crash of 2005 was my learning experience.

Dalton Diaz said...

Ok, that tongue thing has to make it into a book. Meanwhile, Owwwwww!

Brenda said...

What an amazing interview.
And ouch on the tongue. I cringed when I read it.

High five to you. Hope your sales are through the roof!

Victoria Adams said...

Yes my books are backed up in a couple of other spots.
And I am over the trauma of my scar.

Thanks everyone who dropped by.