Friday, August 16, 2013

Sexy Saturday with Ms. Patricia Knight #asmsg


We're spicing things up today with the sexy author Patricia Knight! She's talking about herself and her novel, "Hers to Command." Oooo...I love that title! Let's get to it. Welcome, Patricia! 

What inspired "Hers to Command"?

I had just finished a great story in the epic/fantasy genre and was ruminating on why I was so dissatisfied with it. The story was wonderful, the characters were wonderful . . . then it dawned on me. No sex. I wanted to “see” the sex! laughter, oh gosh, I’m a voyeur. So, I set about writing a novel like the one I had read but with SEX.

I completely understand that! Who is your favorite character in this novel?

I love Ari. I love his dedication to duty and his courage. I love that he is willing to put down fifteen years of resistance and really look at the woman he resisted. I love how he will do anything to make those he cares about happy.

What comes first--characters or plot ideas?

Funny, but both.  I have an idea for a plot and then the characters come. But while I am writing, the characters speak to me and the book frequently takes turns that were totally unexpected. For example, in Hers To Command, I didn’t know Doral would have such a pivotal role. He was just Ari’s faithful right-hand. As it turned out, he is most readers’ favorite character.

How important is setting? Does it play an integral role in this story?

Setting is critical as Verdantia is alive. She is the character driving much of the action.

What motivates your main characters?

Love for their planet and love for each other.

Aww...those are pretty damn good motivators. Love it! What is the central conflict?

Wow. There are about six different conflicts in the novel. All “central.” LOL.  Okay, probably the most visible conflict is the one between the Verdantians and the invading Haarb. Then there is the conflict between Ari and the L’Anziano and then there is the conflict between Ari and Fleur and then there is the conflict between…well, [more laughter] you get the picture.

What is your favorite aspect about being a novelist? 

Finding like minded geeky lovers of sci-fi/fantasy/romance that I can say, “Hey, did you read ________.” OM Gosh! Wasn’t it great? And did like the part where…  

What draws you to this particular genre?

I love this genre because the possibilities are only limited by my imagination.  I can change the world in a million different ways.

Are there any other genres you can see yourself writing and why/why not?

Absolutely! I am, first and foremost, a storyteller. I love brave men, gallant horses, loving, strong women and hot sex. Any genre that will incorporate those is fair game for my pen, er, keyboard.

All of the above sound like the perfect ingredients for some scintillating stories. What’s your goal as an author? By that, I mean...why write? Why is it important to you? 

I think there are lots of geeky nerds like me out there that want hot fantasy. The publishing of my stories is only important to me in that it allows me to interact with my fellow geeks.  It’s like having a big role-playing game but I get to create the characters.

If you could snap your fingers and transport yourself anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? 

I’m afraid I’m like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. There’s no place like home. I live in a paradise in Texas. I have my lover, who I just happen to be married to, my dogs and my horses. I have a huge swimming pool with enormous bullfrogs that croak at night and I can look up to see billions of stars. There isn’t anywhere in the world that tempts me more than my own backyard.

Nothing wrong with loving being home. I'm sort of the same way up here in the Rockies. I spend countless hours on my deck just soaking up the view. On to a more personal note...Tea or coffee? Snort – coffee – IV drip, please. Starbuck’s Italian Roast with one sugar and 2% milk.

Night person or early riser?

Definitely early riser. I’m useless after 3:00.

Tell us 5 little known facts about yourself. 

1. I like grape jelly on my scrambled eggs.
2. I give my favorite basketball players pet names.
3. I like my foot tickled.
4. I sleep flat on my back with no pillows.
5. I’ve been known to ignore the ringing of my phone.

You and me both. I've even been known to ignore email and social media, too-gasp! Thanks so much for your wonderful answers. Now let's look at "Hers to Command." It's on my *must read* list!  

Blurb:
Short Blurb – Hers To Command

In an intricate dance of friendship, erotic partnership and selfless love, three natives of the sentient planet Verdantia must come together in an extraordinary effort to save their world…and themselves.
With the lives of the people of the planet hanging in the balance, Verdantia calls three of her own to restore her power. The impossible but gorgeous Conte Camliel Aristos DeTano, the beautiful, innocent future queen Princess Fleur Constante, and the conte’s loyal aide, the angelically handsome yet emotionally-scarred Visconte Doral DeLorion, must fight their own personal demons and assimilate in a poly relationship, lest their planet be lost.
The attraction between the three is palpable and so strong it will either bind them together forever—and restore strength to the energy shield of their planet’s capital—or destroy each of them.
What ensues is a passionate journey that explores and tests trust, friendship and the true meaning of love.  

Oh, this sounds so good! Let's take a peek...

It was perhaps an hour later when her guard tapped lightly. “Your Highness.”

“Yes, Eric.”

“Conte DeTano is here.”

“Please admit him.” She watched from her seat on the chaise as Ari strode into the room.

“Your Highness.”

“Conte,” she smiled. “Please, sit.”

“I prefer to stand if it is the same to you, Your Highness,” he replied curtly.

“It is not. I dislike having you loom over me like a bomb about to explode.”

A laugh startled from his lips and he smiled as he sat down in the chair Patricio had vacated.

He is so handsome when he smiles.

“My second-in-command sent me some troublesome news today. I am out of sorts. I didn’t mean to direct my temper at you, Your Highness.”

“Apology accepted. I would like it very much if you would call me Fleur. You did before.”

“Yes, well. Being balls-deep between your legs creates a certain intimacy,” Ari said with a wicked grin. “If that is your wish, Your Highness, Fleur, it is.”

Heat crept up her cheeks. He says the most unexpected things. Taking a deep breath, she regrouped, handing Ari the scroll. “Tell me about this.”

He scanned carefully as he unrolled the stiff parchment. He stopped midway, then rolled it back up. With a soft chime of medallions, he re-tied the ribbons, placing it on a low table beside him. “What is it you wish to know?”

Oh dear. She studied his austere expression, trying to decide on a diplomatic way to start. “Why is marrying me so distasteful that you would flee the planet for fifteen years?” She winced inwardly. Tactful, Fleur—very subtle.

Ari’s eyes narrowed and his fingers started drumming on the arms of the chair. He rose and paced to the window, then stood looking out.

“It was not the thought of marriage to you that was distasteful. What was distasteful was the thought of a marriage to anyone based solely on my genetics. It is how you breed animals, not people. I am not a stud horse to be bred to Patricio’s favorite mare.” His back stiffened. “My apologies. I did not mean…”

“Please, Ari, sit down,” she interrupted. Patricio’s ‘mare’? Ouch.

“I prefer to stand,” he responded curtly, not moving from the window.

She rolled her eyes in exasperation. “I am not used to speaking to someone’s backside half-way across the room. Will you at least turn around?”

A smile flickered. He turned. “I didn’t want to ‘loom’.” Laughter lurked in his eyes, and a half-smile turned his lips.

He really is quite extraordinary. A soft laugh escaped her. “Thank you.”


He nodded and folded his arms across his chest, then crossed his legs at the ankles as he leaned back onto the windowsill. The heavy muscles of his arms and chest stretched his black knit sweater, and the black leather leggings tucked into his over-the-knee boots left little for her to imagine. Such a handsome man.

Something about the way his eyes explored her body sent heat up and down her spine then straight to her lady-parts. She remembered the weight of him as he lay atop her. She remembered looking up into his gold-flecked eyes, feeling his mobile lips caressing her cheeks, feeling the rough brush of his beard on her tender inner skin as he—mind on present business, Fleur!

“Ahem,” she cleared her throat. “So, have you given this contract any further thought? Do you still find it so distasteful?” Oh, by the gods, Fleur, show some subtlety. What is wrong with you?

“Why? Are you going to ask me to marry you?” He eyed her dispassionately.

She held his gaze steadily. How did this conversation get away from me? “Not today.”

“Good.” He looked at the timekeeper on her table. “Your Highness, I am very short on time. I will continue this discussion with you another day.” He started toward her door.

“You haven’t answered my question, sir!”

“Yes. No,” he tossed over his shoulder as he left the room.

Argggh! She slumped back onto the couch. Yes? No? What? She replayed their conversation.
Have you given this contract further thought? “Yes.” Do you still find it so distasteful? “No.”
Her mouth gradually developed a delighted smile.

Fantastic! Well, what are you waiting for? Buy your copy now. 
I know what I'll be reading this weekend. 

Patricia A. Knight is the pen name for an eternal romantic who lives in Dallas, Texas surrounded by her horses, dogs and the best man on the face of the earth – oh yeah, and the most enormous bullfrogs you will ever see. Word to the wise: don’t swim in the pool after dark.
I love to hear from my readers and can be reached at http://www.trollriverpub.com/ or  http://www.patriciaaknight.com . Or send me an email at patriciaknight190@gmail.com . Check out my latest “Hunk of the Day,” book releases, contests and other fun stuff on my face book page: https://www.facebook.com/patricia.knight.71619


Website:          http://www.patriciaaknight.com/home.html  
Twitter:           https://twitter.com/patriciaaknight
Pinterest:         http://pinterest.com/patriciak4394/







1 comment:

Patricia Knight said...

Hi Amber,

Thanks for being such a wonderful hostess. That interview was such fun! Great questions. I'll be available for any of your readers who have questions about the Verdantians.

Cheers!

Patricia