Thursday, August 20, 2015

Happier than a Billionaire #BookReview #Memoir

My review of 

I'm a dreamer. I'm also someone who craves an adventure and enjoys exploring new places. Because of those things, I often daydream about selling everything I own, packing up my pets, and relocating to a tropical paradise where I can open a beach bar and chill with the tourists by night--write by day in a hammock.


The older I get--and I'm not that old in the big scheme, I know--the more the fantasy feels like a possibility. I've been following Happier than a Billionaire on Facebook along with several other ex-pat groups in Belize and Costa Rica. I mainly lurk and watch their discussions about the "real life" of living in such a place. Is it as good as it seems in my dreams?


Last week, I picked up the memoir by Nadine Hays Pisani called, Happier than a Billionaire, which is a memoir of her big move to Costa Rica. I couldn't have been happier myself for giving it a read. I enjoyed her descriptions of the country's magic and mayhem. She's honest about her reasons for giving up her career as a chiropractor and making the leap to becoming an expat. I felt myself laughing out loud at times with her descriptions of her husband--who I would love to meet in person--and the somewhat crazy characters she encounters on their journey. I teared up at times, perhaps because her observations about life touched something deep within my heart that I related to on core level. My one and only criticsm is that I felt there were too many recollections from the past that could have been shortened a bit or outright eliminated to keep the focus on the move. None of it took away from my enjoyment of the book, however, and I strongly recommend it to those of you who love a good laugh and enjoy living vicariously through others. I will definitely read the sequel.

Want to know more? Follow Happier than a Billionaire via their blog or Facebook page. And pick up the book! Not only is it funny, but it's also an education about immersing oneself in another culture.

Smashwords (for all other e-readers)

No comments: